Friday, February 18, 2011

Guilty Little Secret

Whenever anyone mentions something they've seen on TV, I usually have no idea what they're talking about, especially if it's a newer show. I usually shrug and piously reply with, "Oh, we don't have TV at our house." When we moved out to the boonies (almost three years ago now), we made the decision to not get TV. The kids watched the occasional cartoon or after school sitcom, but Robert and I rarely watched any during the past several years that we lived in Marysville. So, we decided to spend the savings from not having TV on Netflix and Hi-speed internet. The kids can get their cartoons and sitcoms via Netflix and we can watch whatever movies we feel like watching.

It's normally a win-win, but occasionally I do miss having television. Football, for example. I actually enjoy watching it when I can watch it regularly and follow the teams and specific players that I like. Just looking up stats isn't the same so I have missed out on the past three seasons of the game. Seattle made it to the play-offs this year, and if they had made it to the Super Bowl (I know, I know, not likely), I would really have missed having a TV. Arriah and Braelen say the thing they miss the most is the commercials. And no, I don't mean the Super Bowl commercials. They miss seeing the every day commercials, because their friends talk about these new products or places to go and my kids don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Now, I have to admit to my guilty little secret. I have become a fan of American Idol. Prior to last season, I may have seen one or two episodes, so I knew what the show was about, but I never cared. Last season, however, I started watching American Idol via YouTube clips the morning after the show was aired. And I got hooked. My favorite last season was Lee Dewyze, so I was thrilled that he made it all the way through. Oh, and I also liked one of the kids that didn't even make it to the top 12, so that was kinda sad.

I'm hooked again this season. Since it's on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, I now spend Thursday and Friday morning trying to piece together the show on YouTube. I suppose it must be illegal to be upload the clips, because the YouTube police are good about deleting posts. I have to get to them quick (or wait a few days for repostings) and still sometimes end up only being able to watch parts of the episode. But, that's okay, I still enjoy it.

My favorites so far this season are Jacee Badeaux, Robbie Rosen, and Chris Medina. There's a girl that hasn't received much air time, but I've really liked her voice when she's sang; Ashton something (Jones, I think). I couldn't tell if she was in the 'right' room, but I saw that all of 'my boys' made it through. I'll get to watch them again next week! And yes, there are definitely better singers than the guys I have become fans of, but I don't care about that. I'm looking forward to next Thursday morning. Now, if only they'd extend the call-in deadline until the next morning, I might actually vote...



No comments:

Post a Comment