Monday, January 17, 2011

Life Changing News

It's Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so everyone is home. It's promising to be a nice, lazy day, with all of us relaxing (which mostly means spending time in front of the computer, various gaming consoles, and the TV). It seems like a good day to start a blog.

I've wanted to join the 'blog craze' for a while now, but I have such a normal (aka boring) life, there hasn't really been anything to write about. I got some news a couple days ago, though, that has shaken things up a bit. If I am ever going to get writing, this is as good a reason as any:

I have 4 children, ages 7 to 14. I am now 40 (almost 41) and just found out that I am pregnant for the 5th time. No, we were not trying, but we probably were being a little more casual than we should have been, thinking that we were fairly safe at my age. Obviously not.

I suspected that I might be pregnant, before taking the home test (obviously...otherwise, why would I have taken the test?), so I had time to think about the possibility and what it might mean to our lives before I found out for sure. I initially went through all the cons, all the things in our stable world that would change. Only expecting to ever have four children, we have given everything to do with babies away, which means we would have to buy all new baby stuff, I'd need new maternity clothes, we'd have to baby proof our house. I asked questions, such as who would end up sharing a room with a new baby? Will I still be able to home school the kids that want to homeschool with a new baby? What about as my pregnancy progresses? Will I be up for dealing with my other kids?

Once I saw the positive result on the home test, however, all those questions were pushed to the back of my mind. All I felt was joy! I couldn't help the huge smile on my face.

Even when I was telling Robert (who hadn't had my suspicions and had to deal with the shock and questions right then, rather than having a couple of days to process things), I had a hard time not letting my happiness show. I didn't want to seem too happy, because I didn't want him to think I had gotten pregnant on purpose; honestly, I didn't. Now that he has had a couple of days to deal with the shock, he's happy too. He's still a little concerned about how a new baby will affect our lives, and the fact that he'll be a senior citizen when this baby graduates high school (ha!), but he's accepted it and is now looking forward to having a new baby, as well.

We will probably tell the kids later today; it will be interesting to see their reaction...I suspect they'll all be excited, but I'm not positive. I'll post about that next.

Just a side note: Since the positive test result, I have scoured the internet and found a lot of scary information regarding pregnancy at my "advanced maternal age". I will write about my thoughts concerning that at some point, but for now, I'm keeping a good attitude and will deal with things as they come.

5 comments:

  1. Whooooo hoooooo! I love it!! Nothing like a little surprise to keep life the adventure it is! I am happy for you! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We're excited for you. How far along are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :-)

    Not very...maybe 6 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you!!! Congrats! Love, Holly Thompson :)

    ReplyDelete